Tuesday, January 08, 2013

David Bowie

Happy 66th birthday, David Bowie. How polite, how very British of you, to have given US a gift on your birthday - the wonderful new song, Where Are We Now?

So where are we now? And how did we get here? While I always enjoyed Bowie's hits as a kid, it wasn't until I was about 16 and Scary Monsters came out that I started to grasp the sheer brilliance of his recorded output. I hungrily worked my way straight back to The Man Who Sold The World, finding discovery upon discovery along the way. He engages me emotionally and intellectually like few other artists.

I've also learned from his creative process about how to engage with work that inspires you and have it inform your own efforts. I feel lucky to have seen him live twice. He ruled the stage like few performers from any corner of music and it's tantalizing to think that he might do so again.

But for now, I'll just say thank you for the gift of a new album (coming March 12),  to add to what has been, for me and for many, a life-changing body of work.



No comments:

Post a Comment